Thursday, February 12, 2009

Borrowed Quotes (Freedom to Marry Week)

join the conversation

Freedom to Marry Week continues. Get more information here.

Today's theme, Something Borrowed. When I was contemplating what to blog about today, my wife, Leah, suggested that I use a borrowed quote. I, being me, of course said, "that's not interesting." Well, here I sit trying to think of something and all that is stuck in my head is borrowed quotes. Damn her, heehee. Okay, honey, here is my blog utilizing borrowed quotes.

So, I am going to borrow a few quotes from a Civil Rights leader and lesbian icon herself (although she would have never thought of herself as either), Eleanor Roosevelt.


These are ones I send out to my fellow LGBT protesters.

  • Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway.

  • Have convictions. Be friendly. Stick to your beliefs as they stick to theirs. Work as hard as they do.

  • It is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself.

  • It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it.

  • Never allow a person to tell you no who doesn't have the power to say yes.

  • No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

  • The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

  • We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

  • Understanding is a two-way street.

  • Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

These quotes are for those who spread hatred under the guise of Religion.

  • Hate and force cannot be in just a part of the world without having an effect on the rest of it.

  • Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

  • Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.

  • Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

  • Understanding is a two-way street.

  • When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?

These quotes are for the politicians.

  • What you don't do can be a destructive force.

  • Sometimes I wonder if we shall ever grow up in our politics and say definite things which mean something, or whether we shall always go on using generalities to which everyone can subscribe, and which mean very little.

  • Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.

  • It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it.

  • Hate and force cannot be in just a part of the world without having an effect on the rest of it.

  • Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility.

These quotes are for my parents.

  • The giving of love is an education in itself.

  • What you don't do can be a destructive force.
This quote is for me.

  • I have spent many years of my life in opposition, and I rather like the role.

As you can see, many quotes are used a few times. It is because, I feel, all sides can use them. I hope all who read this think about these quotes and try to understand their meaning for them. There are far too many for me to take and give my thoughts behind them. I will, however, discuss my quote and what it means to me. My thoughts behind this quote go along the lines of what some people at the protests, rallies and the like continually like to use as a tool for equality. "We are just like you, we are normal, everyday people, just like you." Well, to tell you the truth, I am not like you. I am not normal, like you. I am me and I don't want to be like you. Life in general would be pretty boring if we were all like each other. I know, some people argue that we need to do this, say this, to relate, etc. You know what, I don't need to relate, they need to know me as I am, not how they want to cookie cutter me in to something that will make it more comfortable for them. So, there, I said my peace on this. I feel better.

I am going to leave you with one more Eleanor quote. It is not directed at anyone but I think it is hilarious and shows Eleanor as a whole, sexually charged person. Enjoy.

  • I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.

No comments: